Friday 31 March 2017

The British Army

My grandfather, John (standing second from left), with other members of his unit
in the British Army during the First World War

For this layout I used Blue Fern Studios papers from their Chesterville collection:

I added some hand stitching and eyelets to the background.

I also did some stencilling on the background with molding paste.  While it was still wet I sprinkled it with brown embossing powder and heat embossed it.

The Crafter's Workshop - Mini Spinning Tops

These are the dies I used:

Spellbinders - Marvelous Squares
Spellbinders - Locking Loops
My Favorite Things - Postage Stamp
Cheery Lynn Designs -
Deutschland  Boutique Stacker A2 Frame
Spellbinders - Sprightly Sprockets

I made the Sprightly Sprockets die-cuts with brown coloured foil.  I sanded them lightly to bring out the embossed details and then rubbed them with Gilders Paste Wax in patina, rust and sandalwood colours.  I also used a bit of the patina wax on some of the other metal embellishments.

The metal flourishes were painted with Vintaj Patina Paints.

I painted and inked the edges of some corrugated cardboard pieces and tucked them under the photo.  

I also added some random patches of Prima Art Stones around the layout.

Thank you so much for taking a look!


  1. You're so fortunate to have such vintage photos! I knew when I saw the BFS Chesterville collection that you would probably scrap with it. Perfect masculine layout!


Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.