Wednesday 14 September 2016

Great-Grandfather George

My Great-Grandfather George

For this layout I used Blue Fern Studios papers for the background and Maja Design papers for most of the die-cuts.

BFS Tranquility - Serenity
(I used the backside)
BFS Serendipity - Fascination
(I used the backside)

Maja Design Enjoying Outdoors
- The Great Nature bs
Maja Design Coffee in the Arbour
- Smell of Coffee bs
Maja Design Enjoying Outdoors
- Spending Time

I stamped the corners of the Serenity paper with a couple of clock stamps using black Archival ink.

LaBlanche - Clock Background
LaBlanche - Intricate Watch

I ripped the corners and distressed the edges of the Fascination paper and stained them using various colours of liquid brown ink from re-inker bottles using a paintbrush.

As usual I layered most of the die-cuts over a darker verison, offsetting them slightly to accentuate the edges.  These are the dies and punch I used:

Tim Holtz - Postage Stamp Frame
Spellbinders - Marvelous Squares
Martha Stewart punch - Flourish Lace

Cheery Lynn Designs - Queen Anne's Lace Border

These are the chipboard pieces I used:

Blue Fern Studios - Mixed Chains
Blue Fern Studios - Notebook Edges

The Mixed Chains piece was painted dark brown, inked with clear ink and sprinkled very lightly using BFS Nutmeg embossing powder and then heat set.  I then inked the edges lightly in black.

The small piece of the Notebook Edges was painted with antique white craft paint and inked lightly overtop and around the edges with light and dark brown inks to grunge it up a bit.

The pieces of corrugated cardboard were painted antique white and brushed with a silvery mist randomly overtop.  I then brushed them with very watery brown paint and inked around the edges with brown ink.

I also added some random patches of Prima Art Stones.  I applied heavy matte gel and sprinkled the Art Stones on top, then tipped off the excess after the gel was dry.  I also applied some brown mist overtop.

I used my finger dipped in the antique white paint (dabbing most of it off on my craft mat) and rubbed it over a lot of the embellishments to highlight details and grunge them up.

I used Beacon's 3-in-1 glue to adhere most of the embellishments and layers.  It can be rather messy and stringy but with careful application it is well worth it.   It has a really good grip once it is dry which is needed for the heavier metal embellishments. 

Thank you so much for taking a look!