Saturday 12 March 2016

Maureen and Cecilia

My mother (right) with her younger sister, Maureen in the 1940's

For this layout I used some Blue Fern Studios paper from their Serendipity and Timeless collections and some cream-coloured cardstock.

I used the backside for the background of the layout
I used the backside for the small leafy die-cuts

I coated both sides of the background paper with Liquitex Fluid Matte Medium in preparation for trying some multimedia techniques (last time I tried using clear gesso on the background).   Then I used a stencil with molding paste and sprayed some mist overtop once it was dry.

Prima stencil - Floral Petites

That was a disaster, lol, just like last time, so I wet the misted areas and lifted off most of the colour with paper towel again (luckily, the matte medium prevents the mist from sinking in and staining the paper just like the clear gesso did). I placed the stencil back overtop the stencilled areas and went over them with white paint to make them stand out a bit more since the mist had dulled them slightly.

I splattered the background with watery dark brown paint and Treasure Island Aqua Moonshadow mist by Lindy's Stamp Gang.  I also used the mist to splatter the cream die-cuts.

As usual I layered all the diecuts over a darker version, offsetting them slightly to accentuate the edges.  I traced around the edges of the green leaf die-cuts with a black marker and inked around the cream die-cuts with creamy brown Colorbox Chalk ink.

Cheery Lynn Designs
- Canadian Kaleidoscope Doily
Memory Box
- Fresh Foliage

Prima - Forest Leaves

The chipboard flourish was painted white then embossed with Imagine Ink Oatmeal embossing powder.

Blue Fern Studios - Whimsy Flourishes

I also added some touches of the Oatmeal embossing powder to the shells (I used an embossing pen so I could just mark small patches on the shells for the embossing powder to stick to before heating). 

The branches, shells and fish were all made with polymer clay and molds and then painted.  I used Sculpey Ultralight for the shells and fish and Premo Sculpey for the branches (the Ultralight clay is too stretchy to get out of the metal branch mold without distorting it too much).  I used a paintbrush to add some of the Treasure Island Aqua mist to the fish to give them an iridescent shimmer.

Lisa Pavelka
- Au Natural Border Mold
First Impressions Molds
- Fish Set
First Impressions Molds
- Mini Seashell Set 1
(unfortunately they no longer make this mold)

I used regular matte gel to glue random patches of Prima Art Stones by Finnabair around the page then added some shading with brown watercolour paint (a mixture of ivory black, alizarin crimson and burnt umber) around the center of the layout and over the Art Stones.

Prima - Art Stones
Prima - Mini Art Stones

Thank you so much for stopping by!